||The Morrison Collection
This site provides information relating to the Morrison Collection of Chinese Books at the School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS).
This collection was formed by Dr. Robert Morrison [Ma Lixun 馬禮遜] (1782-1834), the first Protestant missionary to China, whilst he was living in Canton and Macau between 1807 and 1824. The collection was donated to University College London (UCL) on Morrison's death, and was transferred on permanent loan to SOAS in 1922.
In 1996 a project to catalogue the Morrison Collection at SOAS was made possible by a generous grant from the Chiang Ching-Kuo Foundation for International Scholarly Exchange 蔣經國國際學術交流基金會. In addition to making the individual items in the collection available on-line via the RLIN bibliographic database, a general catalogue of the collection, Catalogue of the Morrison Collection of Chinese Books, was compiled and published by SOAS in 1998.
Robert Morrison (1782-1834)
- Biography : Short chronological biography of Dr. Robert Morrison
- Bibliography : Bibliography of Works by and relating to Dr. Morrison
- MS 347391 : A transcription of Dr. Morrison's 'Day Book' (MS 347391) for late 1818 and early 1819
The Morrison Collection of Chinese Books
- History : History of the Morrison Collection of Chinese books
- Description : Description of the contents of the Morrison Collection
Morrison's Manuscript Catalogue
- Transcription : An edited transcription of Morrison's own manuscript catalogue of his Chinese books (SOAS MS 80823), compiled in 1824
- Index of Catalogue Numbers : An index of the catalogue numbers assigned to books in Morrison's Manuscript Catalogue (the "RM" numbers)
The Morrison Chinese Library at UCL
- The Williams Report : Extract from the 1854 Report on the contents of the Morrison Chinese Library at UCL by John Williams (1797-1874)
- Shelfmark Index : An index of the shelfmarks of the bound items in the Morrison Chinese Library as held at University College London (UCL) during the nineteenth-century
The Current State of the Morrison Collection
Morrison Collection Texts
Verse and Poetry
- Dengmi Yadiao 燈謎雅調 : A collection of 67 lantern riddles set to various tunes
Vernacular Short Stories
- Guanyin Dianhua Lüzu 觀音點化呂祖 : A short didactic vernacular story about the Daoist immortal Lü Dongbin and the Bodhisattva Guanyin, who has taken the form of an apothecary's daughter
- Tanshi Lu 談世錄 : A short didactic vernacular story about a discourse between three Confucian scholars, the Daoist immortal Lü Dongbin and the Bodhisattva Guanyin
- Tianguan Cifu 天官賜福 : A short auspicious play, to be performed as an introduction to the main play
- Li Qi Tanjian 李奇嘆監 : The second of three parts of a play about a horse-peddlar called Li Qi who is falsely imprisoned
Other SOAS Collections
- The Marsden Collection : A summary of the contents of the collection of books and manuscripts in Oriental and African languages belonging to William Marsden (1754-1836) that were transferred to SOAS from King's College London in 1920
- The Staunton Collection : A list of the collection of Chinese printed books donated to King's College London in 1853 by Sir George Thomas Staunton (1781-1859)
Author : Andrew West 魏安
Created : 2000-10-16 ; Last modified : 2007-03-18.
Catalogue of the Morrison Collection of Chinese Books
BabelStone Home Page